Skip to main content

Post #2


My second week went by fast, eating my local foods seemed normal. It genuinely felt good knowing that I was impacting our environment positively. I ate mainly foods from Trader Joes and PCC. I drove around 10 minutes to each location and picked up my foods for the week so that I wouldn't have to drive back every day. I bought food for my entire week, doing so improved my behavior at home and outside of the home. 

The main impact that I am creating is decreasing co2 emission. Because I am eating locally produced foods we have around 1164 lbs of co2 per plate. This also means 352 gallons of co2 per/mile, which therefore means, there are 1500miles saved from one plate of locally produced foods.

If everyone at school did this same behavior we would decrease the co2 emissions by roughly 600,000miles. This would exponentially decrease. This behavior if run throughout our world would save a world from pollution and certain gasses created from foods traveling overseas.
(1) (2)

I am honestly surprised that by such a small act of eating locally produced products that it could cause such a large impact.

I believe that this data is credible because my sources are from sources that all have a common theme. This means that since there information analysis's connected there credible. Also, either being a .gov site or .org can mean it is a credible source.



1) https://www.epa.gov/fuel-economy-trends/highlights-co2-and-fuel-economy-trends
2) http://naturalsociety.com/how-far-food-travel-food-miles-1500-average/
3) https://timeforchange.org/eat-less-meat-co2-emission-of-food    (general facts - ish)





Comments

  1. I really liked hearing about your perspective on eating local foods! It is really cool how many miles you are saving per plate of food, that isn't something I had thought about before. I am however wondering how you figured out exactly how many miles your plate of food was equivalent too? did you research what farms your food was coming from? If so did you also learn some cool things about the farms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan! This is a really great blog, I would like to see more explanation of your math specifically in your second paragraph, it is a little hard to follow. Other than that, it was very informative!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its very interesting that you decided to only eat local foods as you do not buy your own foods or rarely go to the grocery store. Just wondering how you are doing with your behavior as I saw you eating a PB & J the other day that was most likely not local peanut butter, jam, or bread. Keep up the work and we will see how this turns out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I wasn't eating a PB&J I was eating a BLT. Which i had gotten all of the ingredients from a local source.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed hearing about your experience and your perspective on eating local foods. Although I am wondering how exactly your calculated the CO2 emissions? And what showed you that the food was locally grown?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get your calculations? I think you should cite your sources and your numbers, because someone could get confused as to how you got your numbers. I like where you are going though, sport!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mentioned how if everyone did the same behavior as you, it would be equal to 600,000 miles. A lot of people do not know how that measures because a mile just seems like a far distance. However, something you could add is that how 600,000 miles is equal to flying to New York from Seattle 250 times. If you use an example like this, your audience will be able to take your behavior more into consideration and make more sense of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how simple, yet impactful your lifestyle change is! Buying locally can be hard depending on the season and where you're buying produce from, but I do wonder how you got your calculations. Maybe you could write out your math so simpletons like me can keep up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment